July 23, 2011

Tell me your thoughts...

Our little lion man is pushing 15 pounds and 24 inches.  He is one big 3 month old.  So big we are moving through diaper sizes a lot quicker than expected.  He is also so big that he is weighing down the top "bassinet" netting part of our packnplay.  The two things I have been doing some research on are the possibility of moving to cloth diapers and getting him in a crib that gives him more space and is sturdier for all his manliness.


Cloth Diapers
We like the idea of reusable.  To be honest, our main goal here is to save money (it is a bonus they are better for the environment).  I have been trying to figure out which method would be convenient enough that we could do it as well as anyone who watches him but also is a money saver (in the end as I know it is a large cost up front).  Do you use cloth diapers?  Which ones do you like?  What are your personal recommendations?  Where to buy them?  I have been given some great recommendations all ready but still weighing our options.

Crib and Mattress
Here are my thoughts at this point.  I am more than ok finding a used crib.  Something that is solid and "legal" as I understand all drop side cribs are now not being sold anymore.  I feel like I will be able to find something on either craigslist or some baby consignment store.  My bigger concern is the mattress.  I have been doing a lot of research and this is probably where I feeling the most hesitant to get any cheap mattress.  The thing that concerns me most from all the reading I have done is the chemicals used in these mattresses.  Any thoughts?  I would prefer to get one that we can use for the rest of our 9 children we plan on having (maybe not that many but you know)...I want it to last.  What would you recommend?  Where did you buy your mattress?

2 comments:

  1. Christine-- I use cloth diapers! Bumgenius.com is where I believe I got mine. I only have 12 and they seem to last me for a couple days... however, when they are little, you change them a lot more. So... I know Daisy has 24 or something like that. We use the same brand and we both have liked them. The only thing that stinks about cloth diapers and maybe all aren't like this.. but you have to run them through the washer 3x-- once on hot, once on cold and then a rinse. Mine have also started to smell a little funny, which may mean that I need to "strip" them. Daisy has a thing attached to her toilet for rinsing them off, which I think would be nice. I just do what our parents did... dunk 'em right in. Pretty gross, but I've gotten used to it. I still use disposable diapers when we're out and when Joshua goes to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cottonbabies.com is a great website for cloth diapers. That's where I got my Bumgenius 4.0 ones and a few accessories like a wet bag and a liner for the pail. THey are great and convenient for other people. If you put the liners in right when they're all dry they are ready to go and it is literally no different than grabbing a disposable. I also use cloth wipes. Mine have never started to smell but if they do you should "strip" them with blue dawn like the other comment says. I don't have a sprayer. I find I can just wipe what I need to with TP into the toilet, no dunking or soaking needed, and throw that straight into the pail until ready to wash. There are also Bioliners for putting on the diaper if you want to just throw that away or flush. I LOVE using cloth. Saves so much money...last time I traveled I brought my cloth and washed them, but I'm thinking about just buying disposable this this time, and I'm NOT excited about spending even $20 on diapers. I've become cheap when it comes to diapers, because I'm not used to paying a cent anymore.

    ReplyDelete