October 12, 2012

28 Week Update


Today I am 27 weeks and 5 days.  I will be 28 weeks on Sunday.  Meeting this goal is exciting because 90% of babies born at 28 weeks or close after will survive and 90% will survive AND be healthy.  The next big goal is 34 weeks when it jumps up to 99%.  At that point, they will not try and stop labor if I were to go into pre-term labor but we are all hopeful and very optimistic that I will make it to 34 weeks.

This was the first appointment where my cervix actually stayed the same. It was not any shorter and even creeped back up to a 2 (two weeks ago the highest was a 1.8 I believe) at times during the measurement process.  I have also really started to gauge my threshold for getting up and moving around and know when it is effecting my cervix and uterus.   My threshold is basically doing nothing - nothing at all including meals.  I have gone down to just going to the bathroom; the basics.  It seems to be working so we will keep at it for another 6 weeks.

Currently I am doing my "normal" appointments with my midwife as well as seeing the perinatologist.  I generally have an appointment every week between the two but sometimes I will randomly have a week off.  I will most likely see the peri 3 more times until I reach 34 weeks and then my care goes completely back to the midwives until we have the baby since after 34 weeks they will be the ones to deliver in the hospital with me (as opposed to the peri). 

I also get to stop with all the ultrasounds - woo hoo!  I have actually really enjoyed watching her growth and having so many pictures of her (see below) before she is even out of the womb but it also makes for long appointments (about 2 hours) and too much stimulus around a sensitive cervix is not awesome from this point forward.  

I am really torn about how I feel about time right now.   I really want it to go by quickly so I can be off bed rest and checking things off my pre-baby to-do list but I also don't think I am quite ready to jump into having 2 babies and potentially that is what will happen.  I get off bed rest and a week or two later I have 2 babies.  That just sounds a little overwhelming.

Here is the latest picture of our baby girl. 



No comments:

Post a Comment