July 26, 2012

2nd Trimester Update: week 16


I follow a fair amount of blogs and I have to say I definitely get sucked in by the mommy blogs but I do like this quick and easy way to document the pregnancy.  As expected, I have not been documenting every week with this pregnancy.  I have yet to even take a picture of my pregnancy belly.  I do want to document at least a little so I have something to remember and so if baby #2 is ever interested, I actually have memories to share.  I hope to do this a few more times over the course of this pregnancy.

How many weeks pregnant: 16 weeks.
Weight gain:  About 4 or 5 lbs 
Cravings:  I haven't had a lot of cravings, mostly food aversions but because of the aversions on the days that NOTHING sounds good, I have only wanted bread and potatoes and salt. 
Food aversions:  Chicken (mostly grilled), mexican food and eggs have been the big ones.  These came on strong at the end of the 1st trimester (seems a little late?) and have lingered since.  I am getting back into eating eggs once in a while but mostly these three items are still not the most appetizing. 
How are you feeling:  Mostly great.  With Ariy there was a lot going on and I was working full time.  Based on my own memory (not always super reliable), I do feel this pregnancy is a lot easier.  I had about 4 weeks of feeling really tired in the beginning but mostly I have had decent energy and no morning sickness.  I have had weird symptoms like excess saliva and the need to chew gum all day long but not to the extreme this time of carrying around a spit cup (I know Rick was relieved).
Boy or girl:  We have scheduled the ultrasound for August 23rd.  I will be going alone and I am so torn about finding out right then and there (Rick seems to think he doesn't care if I know first) or to try and do some surprise for him or the both of us.  Ideas, let me know.  I have to say,  I am still picturing a girl and hoping for a girl but I am working on trying to get excited about two little boys and the madness that would bring.
Wearing maternity clothes:  Yes and no.  I definitely can't button my pants without being very uncomfortable so I am going strong with the little elastic trick.  I have started wearing maternity clothes mostly because of comfort and being in the stage where regular clothes just make me look like I have a little belly and not so much a baby belly.  
Overall thoughts/Updates:  I am anxious to find out the gender which I think will help this all to feel even more real.  It is so weird that long periods of time goes by where I realize I totally forgot I was pregnant.  I kind of don't like that feeling.  After much research, talking with friends and encouragement from my midwife, I have decided to attempt a VBAC as I really believe it is the healthiest decision for myself and baby.  My other hope is to go natural again, this time not so much to prove to myself I can do it (my big motivating factor last time) but because my labor was so quick last time I would rather have it move quickly along and not let an epidural stall any progress.  I was only in labor (before pushing) for about 6.5 hours.  The practice I go to really encourages VBACs to at least labor as long as possible without medication or to have none at all.  As a VBAC, they won't do anything to induce or push labor along like pitocin or even breaking my water (this one is a little up for debate but they would rather not) and sometimes an epidural can bring on more interventions so if it is 6.5 hours or less, I think I can get through it.  My other big hope is that I do not need to be induced because ultimately, if they want to get the baby out (induce) I will have a c-section.  I would love to just go into labor on my own and experience what that is like.  That is my big hope and prayer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment